Farewell to IE8, Success of Google+, Quick Dell and Much More
September 21, 2012
What is the freshest news from the world of informational technologies? Find out in our weekly digest from the 21st of September.
- Google Will Terminate the Support of IE8 in November. Representatives of the U.S. branch of Google Inc. said that the company will stop supporting Internet Explorer 8 for the service Google Apps soon.
- There Are 400 Million Registered Users in Google+. But only 100 million of them are active.
- Google Purchased an Analog of Instagram – Snapseed. The company bought photo editor Snapseed, which is one of the competitors of Instagram, it's available for iOS, Mac and Windows.
- "Innocence of Muslims" Has Left Pakistan Without YouTube. Prime Minister of Pakistan – Raja Pervez Ashraf ordered to block access to YouTube, because of a "sacrilegious" anti-Islamic movie.
- HTC Windows Phone 8X and 8S Were Officially Released. On 19th of September, at a press conference in New York, HTC and Microsoft introduced two new products based on Windows Phone 8: HTC 8X and HTC 8S.
- Dell Introduced its First Line of Windows 8 PCs. Dell announced a PC running on Windows 8, and the company made that far ahead of its main competitors.
- Apple Has Released iOS 6. Despite of the fact that the previously submitted iPhone 5 will be available for purchase only after 21st of September, Apple has started to update apps for iOS 6.
- ZTE Confirmed Plans to Release a Smartphone with Mozilla Firefox OS. ZTE has confirmed that in the first quarter of the next year it plans to introduce several Mozilla-smartphones.
- The New Version of Adobe Photoshop Will not Work in Windows XP. Developers of Adobe Photoshop reported that CS6 (13.0) version will be the last that runs on Windows XP.
- Zed Attack Proxy (ZAP). One of Mozilla's developers introduced a comprehensive tool for websites' vulnerabilities detection.
- Farewell to Internet Explorer 8! Google announced the imminent end of supporting Internet Explorer 8.
- New Internet Explorer Weakness Already Exploited in Attacks. Security experts are worried: culprits start to use a previously unknown vulnerability in the Internet Explorer browser (versions 7, 8 and 9) to spread the Poison Ivy trojan.
- The German Parliament Encourages Citizens to Abandon IE.
- Do Not Track Is in Chrome. After almost a year and a half after the beginning of the discussion to the feature Do Not Track (DNT) in the web browser, Google Chrome at last did it.
Amazing Website's Design:
- http://www.taginterativa.com.br/#/index/ – a funny website with a background video.
- http://beta.usatoday.com/ – a new functional website of USA Today.
- http://stldesignweek.com/ – a website with nice animation.
- http://neil.judg.es/ – vertical website with humor and parallax.
- http://verdi.com.br/# – a Brazilian website, which is suitable for viewing on tablets.
- http://www.oxitalia.com/ox/?cat=14#section-4 – the modern implementation of a product page.
- http://www.gastonbouchayer.com/#/a_propos/base_sur_des_faits_reels – a sample of a minimalistic modern portfolio and a small website.
- http://www.styleonedigital.com/ – a website with relevant data loading and animation, including transitions between pages in the style of presentation.
- http://graphicnovel-hybrid4.peugeot.com/start.html – Peugeot launched a fascinating one-page promotional comics-website "The hybrid graphic novel".
- Twitter Updated the Look of User's Profile.
- Modern Design of Progress Bars.
- Smashing Conference Live – day 1.
- Secrets of the Layer Panel in Photoshop CS6. Part one.
- New Features in Illustrator CS6. In addition, a few new resources with educational materials can be found.
- One of the Latest Trends in Web Design – blurred photographic background.
- Logos Featured with All Types of Vehicles, Including a UFO!
- The Best Solutions for Mobile E-Commerce Sites.
- Samples of Restaurant Website Design. Very Tasty!
A Bunch of Design Freebies:
- 9 Photoshop Actions for Photo Processing.
- Books about UX.
- Some Fresh Fonts: from Sahara to Wayfinding Sans.
- 40 Manuscripts and Decorative Fonts: from Cheyenne Hand to Own Written.
- Kelson – a nice sans serif font from a Brazilian design agency.
- Mood Type – a fresh decorative sans serif font from Filliz Sahin.
- Albatross – a sans serif font from Timo offered for a tweet.
- Small Bag with Flags Treated in a Grunge Style.
- Magnolia Free – Infographic PSD Template.
- iPhone 5 PSD Mockup Templates. A few PSD files of iPhone5.
- iPhone 5 in Vector.
- 30 PSDs from the Depths of Dribbble: interface components, icons, and even YouTube on iPhone.
- UX Sketching and Wireframing Templates for Mobile Projects.
- freepik.com – a service to search for photos, vector images and PSDs.
- Convert Vector Images to Web Font Icons.
- A Useful Service for Those Who Are Working with Animation.
- bootsnipp.com – snippets for Twitter Bootstrap.
- rvl.io – a service from Hakim to create presentations with reveal.js effects.
- jQuery Builder – a simple collection of jQuery 1.8.1 modules.
- Circus in Your Browser. An experiment from Chrome and Cirque du Soleil, and how it was done: Movi Kanti Revo – creating a 3D world.
- Celebrating 500 Chrome Experiments.
- 3D CSS Solar System.
- Wireframe Ripple.
- Rocking Dendrites.
- Integrating Input [type = "file"] with the API File System.
- Web Icons & the iPad Retina Displays. The quick tutorial explaining one approach to creating resolution-independent scalable images that will look great on any screen at any resolution.
- 10 Useful Infographics about HTML5.
- Semantic Pagination.
- WP-plugins, which Are Used by Chris Coyier.
- Rundown of Handling Flexible Media.
- Web Development for Beginners (Resources).
- CSS3 2D and 3D Graphics and Animation Effects.
- A Descendant of Zen Coding – Emmet for ST2!
- What Prevented Facebook from Work with HTML5.
- An Example of Using Web Audio API to visualize the frequency characteristics of the audio track. It works only in WebKit-browsers.
- What's Covered in the Depth of the Site Dedicated to Apple iPhone 5, or "How Apple Compresses Video Using JPEG, JSON, and
- Parallax that Is Running on Mobile Devices. Stellar.js + iScroll4.
- Sublime Text 2 Project Bliss.
- CSS Ellipsis: How to Manage Multi-Line Ellipsis in Pure CSS.
- Solution from Adobe Developers for Adaptive Image in HTML5.
- Kube – minimalistic CSS-framework to support adaptability and LESS.
- slickmap – simple stylesheet for displaying finished site maps directly from HTML unordered list navigation.
- Rosette Made with the Help of Pure CSS.
- HTML 5 Canvas Radial Gradients.
- Jarallax – a plugin that allows implementing parallax effects, and more.
- slabText – a jQuery plugin for producing big, bold & responsive headlines.
- Fullscreen Video Slideshow with BigVideo.js.
- EGrappler – another full-screen adaptive slider.
- equalize.js – a jQuery plugin for equalizing the height or width of elements.
Fun & Entertainment:
- Smile Is 30 Years Old. Direct speech from the inventor of “smile”, Scott Elliot Fahlman.
- Magic of Firefox OS. Firefox OS is the beginning of something incredible. This is a revolution. A breath of fresh air.
- Meet Any New iPhone.
- How Exactly iPhone 5 Was Made?
- Gorilla Glass. How does it work?
- How to Make the Internet Better?
- Smart Phones, Smart Fun! The head of Yahoo! promised new smartphones to all the employees of the company. They can choose from: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X, HTC EVO 4G LTE or Nokia Lumia 920.
- Advertising Revenues in the Newspaper Business Have Returned to the Level of 1950.
- Users of "Wikipedia" Got an Opportunity to Create Electronic Books from Articles.
- Puppytext. Say anything in puppies.