Top 7 News of the Week, Browser Updates, Releases, Interesting Designs, Development Tools and Much More
What is the freshest news from the world of informational technologies? Find out in our weekly digest from the 18th of February.
Opera announced 300 million users and is switching to Webkit, Bruce Lawson?s official post and his personal ideas on Opera and WebKit cooperation together with a few posts on the same topic by Daniel Glazman, W3C CSS Working Group co-chairman and Christian Heilmann, Mozilla Corporation developer, John Resig: WebKit is the jQuery of Browser Engines. In addition there are few notes on Opera Ice, a new cross-platform browser on Webkit and the thoughts and guesses of such movement. Moreover, the source code of Presto engine may be released.
128 GB Surface Pro were sold out immediately, but a great number of customers faced Surface Pro shortage in stock. Pay attention to Surface Pro Commercial by Microsoft and have some time to see the Microsoft's Surface Pro with installed Ubuntu post.
An interesting post that encourages readers to get acquainted with WebGL and to use it on web sites in the future.
Sweets and musical instruments, robotic animals and human tissues, machine guns and industrial engines? all these and other goods and devices have already been printed with 3D printers in 2012!
- Best Financial Website Design Companies and Design Trends for 2013 ? the list of website design companies which are successful in financial industry was published by Top Design Companies (TDC) recently. The company provides reviews in Financial Website Design area, Web Design companies ranking, various web design researches as well as covering software engine Optimization, Social Media, Marketing and other trend areas.
- Opera says Android ad impressions growing, but more engagement from iOS ? according to Opera's recent research, Android has improved its position in advertising traffic among mobile OS, but still fails to achieve the iOS level in terms of traffic and income.
- Google pays Apple $1 billion annually for iOS default search ? in 2014, Google will have to pay Apple more than $ 1 billion to remain the default search engine on iOS devices despite the fact that in general, Google pays Apple more than they earn on their users.
- Breaking: Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update ? Samsung Galaxy Nexus, ASUS Nexus 7 and Samsung Nexus 10 are the first devices to receive the new firmware. Unfortunately, Google has not released an official change log having just mentioned improvements in performance and stability.
- Up to 800 million Android smartphones are going to be in use by the end of the year ? according to the latest ABI Research, Android is going to increase its market share in the world of smartphones by the end of 2013 providing its users all around the globe 798 million Android smartphones.
- Intel is going to launch a Web TV Service by the end of the year ? all Things Digital refers to Intel vice-president Erik Huggers that the company is about to launch its own online TV in the very nearest future.
- Surface Pro:
- 128 GB Surface Pro were sold out just in a few hours being offered for sale on US Microsoft Store ? Microsoft has just launched Surface Pro sales, but its 128 GB model for $999 is not available anymore both online and at physical locations while its 64 GB low cost version for $899 completed with a single stylus still remains in limited supply.
- Surface Pro Commercial "The Vibe" ? inflammatory promotional video on Microsoft Surface Pro. Get ready to click, clatter and poke with the stylus!
- Running Ubuntu on Microsoft's Surface Pro ? equipped with initially installed Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet appears to be rather appropriate for the third-party OS such as Ubuntu and Linux Mint without any critical affect on booting or general workflow.
- Many consumers have faced Surface Pro Shortage ? officially launched on Saturday for sale the upgraded Intel-powered 128 GB tablet brought a lot of disappointment to its customers as the majority of them failed to get the desired device through the absence of the new tablets in stock.
- Opera proclaims 300 million users and is going to move to Webkit ? according to Jars Boilesen, Opera Software CEO, the various versions of the browser achieved a new milestone having collected a total of 300 million users. Opera Software representatives also announced their intention to transit the future browser versions to WebKit and Chromium engine, used for Chrome and Safari browsers.
- Opera Ice on Webkit for iOS and Android is awaited in February ? still being far away from its powerful competitors in the mobile browsers market Opera Software is going to launch a new browser for portable devices called Opera Ice.
- WebKit: An Objective View ? the post covers the most common issues concerning WebKit rendering engine as well as the possible outcomes of its total use by top web browsers for both software retailers and programmers.
- John Resig: WebKit is the jQuery of Browser Engines ? in the post the author expresses his thoughts about numerous online discussions on Opera?s total movement to WebKit engine giving detailed answers to the most exciting questions.
- Opera official press release, Opera employee?s, Bruce Lawson?s official post and his personal thoughts on Opera and WebKit tandem and a couple of posts on the same topic by Daniel Glazman, Co-chairman of the W3C CSS Working Group and Christian Heilmann, Principal Developer Evangelist (HTML5/Open Web) at Mozilla Corporation.
- HTML 5 browser comparison ? are you still wondering which web browser to choose? Who is leading the market at the moment? The best way is to use compatibility tables and choose one according to appropriate features in HTML5, CSS3, SVG and other innovative web technologies.
- H.264/AAC/MP3 support is now enabled by default in Firefox Nightlies on Windows 7 and 8 ? Firefox Nightly channel starts to support MP4 and MP3 in HTML5 elements by default for both Windows 7 and 8.
- Chrome releases ? Chrome Beta for Android, Chrome OS Management Console and other fresh release updates from the Google Chrome team.
- Google Chrome and Chromium gave up support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, Debian 6 and Ubuntu 10.04 ? Google has stopped supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 in Chrome.
Amazing Websites? Design:
- minimalmonkey.com ? a website about modern web technologies.
- mrcthms.com ? parallaxes, animation, smoothness ? everything what we love.
- criography.com ? a cool portfolio website with a bunch of effects.
- digital-frog.net ? an entertaining portfolio website with soft animation.
- nowyteatr.org ? a Polish theater website with background video and phased data loading.
- happy2013.epic.net ? a mini game - learn more about Epic Team!
- Web typography trends in 2013.
- A critical approach to typefaces.
- Isometrify ? Adobe Photoshop CS5+ extension that allows users to transform objects into isometry and generate a custom sized grid for it.
- Trends in interactive design 2013.
- 20 typographic websites.
- Talking about the new American Airlines logo.
- Flat Pixels ? the battle between Flat Design and Skeuomorphism by Sacha Greif.
- Photoshop Etiquette ? the best practices on working with PSD files.
- Gestalt Psychology in Web Design: Symmetry Principle.
- Masking in Photoshop CS6.
- Rapid Prototyping with the Pages Panel in Fireworks CS6.
- 25 Creative ?About Us? pages of website.
- Cherry and Heart-Shaped Logos.
- Sputnik animated font by Zach Christy.
A Bunch of Design Freebies:
- Freebie: Social Fish.
- Niewe ? a free sans serif font.
- Free snake skin textures.
- Ribbons and badges from the Menso UI set.
- Pink hearts and love-themed graphics.
- 75 Socialentine icons.
- 38 brand new web design freebies for 2013 together with Google Map Markers PSD.
- Free PSD web design templates for download + Daily Deals website PSD template.
- 10 free fonts to write your love stories, 20 more fonts for Valentine?s Day + 40 Cute and Free Love Fonts.
- 8 Fresh Free Fonts: from a decorative Zerb to an expressive serif font Polaris.
- WikiCancel ? a guide on how to delete users? online accounts, cancel contracts and unsubscribe from emails from some definite websites and companies.
- MQtest.io ? a simple tool to help identify which media queries your device responds to.
- 3D using CSS3 + JS.
- Changing the font size of the web page in real time depending on the distance of your face from a webcam.
- CSS3D Clouds.
- Creating 3D worlds with HTML and CSS.
- Bootstrap 2.3 released.
- Responsive web typography with WebRTC.
- Cross-browser camera capture with getUserMedia/WebRTC.
- A 3D engine built using HTML5 and CSS3 3D transforms.
- New tools for web design and development: January 2013.
- Designing for Retina sisplays, optimize websites for 2x images.
- Favicon: a changing role.
- Once more about the progress element.
- Why you should use WebGL.
- Master mobile navigation.
- How to make sprite animations with HTML5 Canvas.
- Implementing retina-ready images on the web.
- REMux: an experimental approach to responsive web design.
- Edge Conference 2013Video.
- Git tips from the pros.
- Designing in the transition to a multi-device world.
- Still free Adobe Edge Animate is updated: CSS3 filters are added, gradients, and integration with Google Fonts, Edge Web Fonts and Typekit.
- CSS button generator for bootstrappers.
- 104 slides on CSS Floats.
- Animated CSS effects with fallbacks.
- Get started with CSS3 transitions today.
- CSS Regions Polyfill.
- Gradient 3D Text.
- Squishy buttons ? photorealistic checkboxes.
- How to organize Media Queries with Sass.
- Using background clip for text with CSS fallback.
- CSS Filters Snippet details.
- A few words about iPad scrolling.
- CSS3 properties for Noobs.
- jQuery spellchecker ? a lightweight plug-in used to check the spelling of text within a form field or within a DOM tree.
- iLightBox Sleek ? an intuitive jQuery plug-in to create light boxes.
- Threesixty-slider ? a jQuery 360 image slider plug-in.
- Rubberband ? a jQuery plug-in for adding responsive breakpoint events.
- Cross-browser camera capture with getUserMedia/WebRTC.
- perfect-scrollbar ? a perfect jQuery scrollbar plugin.
- Make a web app with Instagram-like filters.
- Baseline.js - a jQuery plugin that helps you to maintain vertical rhythm set by a typographic baseline.
Fun & Entertainment:
- A new stage in smartphones development: Apple is said to develop iWatch and the very first screenshots of Samsung GALAXY Altius Smartwatch.
- 2013 consumer trends by Ericsson.
- 8 types of web sites you need to stop building.
- 3D Printing in 2012: the year in review.
- Harlem shake reached Facebook.
- Top 25 live webcams all around the globe.
- Top 10 Kickstarter?s successful stories.
- Self-driving Google car could be available in the next five years.
- Google explained the connection between porn and mathematical expressions.
- Emergency compliments.
- Adobe Photoshop source code is discovered.
- The Internship: the Shawn Levy-directed movie on Google startup is out in June 2013.
Read our web development and
business optimization guides
Compare in-house offshore
software developer payroll costs
Check the available resources for
a quick project start
Join our newsletter!
Get weekly updates of the top IT news delivered straight to your inbox