IT Digest: Sailfish Mobile OS, Facebook and Yahoo! Possible Alliance, Smartphone 20th Birthday and Much More
Enjoy the up-to-date news from the IT world dated November, 23.
- Take Action: Add Your Voice to Keep the Internet free and open – Starting December 3rd 2012, the world's governments are meeting behind closed doors at the ITU to discuss the future of the Internet. Some governments want to use this meeting in Dubai to increase censorship and regulate the Internet.
- Nokia's Here Maps finds its way to Apple's App Store – The mobile application offers free voice navigation, traffic reports, and a host of location-based features.
- Google has improved the search function in Gmail – Now users can search not only by subject or recipient, but to search for other criteria.
- Opera Mobile Moves Into Music – The company has soft-launched a mobile music offering in the Russian market, called Unlimited Music, a subscription-based, download and streaming service that it is trying out first in Russia – a key market for Opera, and one that is not very crowded when it comes to legal music services – before it expands elsewhere.
- Jolla offers first look at Sailfish mobile operating system – Jolla has shown off its newly launched Sailfish OS and said that UI will be all about speed and multitasking, while also cutting down on the finger dancing required to use it.
- Apple Granted Patent For Digital Page Turning Applications – While the patent is not clear on exactly what is being protected, Apple says that its patented page turn is unique because of the special-type of animation used to create the illusion, which the competition does not have.
- A Yahoo-Facebook Search Engine Would Be A Brilliant Move For Both Companies – Facebook and Yahoo! are in talks about forging an alliance that could spell the end of Yahoo!'s relationship with Microsoft.
- 20 Years ago the first Smartphone was developed, what's next for Mobility? – The Simon Personal Communicator was originally developed by IBM in 1992 and brought to market in collaboration with Bellsouth.
- Firefox 17 releases – Mozilla has launched Firefox 17 FINAL, the latest stable release of its open-source, cross-platform web browser. Version 17 has one major new feature – click-to-play block listing, which prevents vulnerable plugins from running without the user's permission.
- 64-bit Firefox discontinued on Windows – Mozilla Engineering Manager Benjamin Smedberg last Friday quietly posted a thread over on the Google Groups mozilla.dev.planning discussion board titled “Turning off win64 builds.”
- Firefox for Android Now Available for Millions More Phones – Firefox for Android introduces support for millions more devices, including the HTC Status, HTC ChaCha, Samsung Galaxy Ace, Motorola Fire XT and LG Optimus Q.
- Firefox For Android Now Supports Phones With ARMv6 Processors, Adding Millions Of Potential New Users. – The browser, best known for its desktop counterpart and stand-out features like the Awesome Bar, automatic syncing and HTML5 support, previously only worked on handsets with an ARMv7 processor (or higher), running Android 2.2 or newer.
- Announcing the prototype Firefox OS Simulator. – Firefox OS project on which it is based has been written about extensively on Hacks already, but the brief summary is that Mozilla is building a mobile phone operating system where the whole user interface is built on web technology.
- Windows 8 Benchmarks: IE10 vs. Firefox 16 vs. Google Chrome 23 vs. Opera 12.1 – With Microsoft publishing a developer preview version of Windows 8 back in 2011, it's time to find out, which (if any) of the web browser companies actually did their homework and optimized the software for the latest OS.
- Opera 12.11 Release notes.
- Microsoft begs Web devs not to make WebKit the new IE6 – Redmond doesn't want Internet Explorer 10's standards compliance to go unnoticed.
- HTML5 Security Cheatsheet: What your browser does when you look away...
- Vitrum Browser provides absolutely new user experience! Significantly increase your productivity and touch the beautiful metro style user interface which was redesigned specifically for your iPad.
Amazing Websites' Design:
- claudiocalautti.com – an interesting implementation of the web site- portfolio.
- BeoplayA9 – web site presentation with parallax effects and animation.
- ats-vs-world.cadillac.com – entertaining interactive website where you can learn the world.
- weareanonymous.fr – web site with custom navigation.
- dondona.be/home – a horizontal web site with interactive interface.
- Windows 8 – Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users.
- Invention: Multiple-Choice “Windowed Slider” UI.
- Creative Design & Content Strategy. For Websites and Mobile Applications.
- How to Create Retina Graphics for your Web Designs.
- Brand identity style guides from around the world.
- 15 Reasons Why Parallax Scrolling In Web Design Is Awesome.
- Mobile Information Architecture Design.
- Creating Subtle Faux HDR Effect in Lightroom with Single Image.
- Create Vector 3D Cogwheels in Adobe Illustrator.
- Designing for the holidays – Snowflakes in Illustrator.
- 40 Creative Uses of QR Code in Business Card.
- 33 Brilliant Orange Websites for Design Inspiration.
- 20 Fashion-Forward Website Designs.
- 28 World's Famous Automobile Manufacturers Websites to Inspire You.
- Showcase of 20 Inspiring Typography Poster Designs.
- Adding A Personal Touch To Your Web Design.
- The future of desktop website design for news.
- Architectural logos.
- Fontli - Embrace the beautiful world of Typography.
A Bunch of Design Freebies:
- 36 Free & Useful PSDs For Download.
- 25 Latest Fresh Free Fonts.
- Art Professions Icon Set (34 Icons, PNG).
- Free Christmas Vector Illustrations & Discount from InkyDeals.
- Design Kindle – Resources for the modern designer.
- 40+ Fresh and Free Web UI and Mobile Kits for Developers and Designers.
- 20+ Free UI Kits for Web and Mobile.
- 33 New Freebie Buttons and Icon Sets Released in Autumn 2012.
- 50 Brilliant PSD freebies from Dribbble.com.
- 10 Best Free Online Courses for Graphic Design.
- DHD Cool Skinny.
- WAVE ME IN - Free Font.
- Geogram typeface - free font.
- 100 MENUS - All the menus you could ever need in one place.
- superfreedraw – the largest drawing board in the world.
- weavesilk – very beautiful drawing tool.
- Walt Disney head by David OReilly.
- Fabric.js demos. Stickman.
- Senitels – This came out while playing with Vectors and it reminded me of the Sentinels in the Matrix trilogy.
- jschr / bootstrap-modal. The default Bootstrap Modal class extension.
- Mastering SVG use for a retina web, fallbacks with PNG script.
- Creating A Custom HTML5 Form Validation.
- Building Faster Websites. Crash course on web performance by Ilya Grigorik.
- New fields types are now available on Chrome Canary.
- Adapting your WebKit-optimized site for Internet Explorer 10.
- Keeping up with Chrome Developer Tools.
- Configure Amazon S3 for Cross Origin Resourse Sharing to Host a Web Font.
- Responsive Menu Concepts.
- Wait, Chrome Dev Tools could do THAT?.
- HTML5 Browser Geolocation Browser Support.
- Mastering SVG use for a retina web, fallbacks with PNG script.
- Physical Device & Viewport Sizes.
- Using the Pagevisibility API.
- An experimental CSS-only timeline with a 3D effect.
- Responsive background images with fixed or fluid aspect ratios.
- CSS Swinging Panel Menu.
- Countdown Clock. CodePen.
- IE10 CSS Hacks.
- How can you get the CSS pixel / device pixel ratio?
- Star Wars vs. Spaceballs – Responsive CSS Timeline with 3D Effect.
- Should You Use Inline-Blocks As A Substitute For Floats?
- Learning Principles for improving your CSS.
- mask watch – an interesting implementation of watch with masks.
- CSS Sprites Revisited.
- CSS Transitions.
- Adaptive Thumbnail Pile Effect with automatic grouping.
- Long Press – an alternative character picker for the browser.
- SpectagramJS – An easy jQuery plugin for Instagram API.
- An experimental jQuery plugin that will group thumbnails by a shared data-attribute into a pile.
- A List Of jQuery PDF Viewers Available At The Moment.
Fun & Entertainment:
- Augmented Reality: the Microsoft Research no-touch future.
- Pirates have found a loophole in the Windows 8 activation chain.
- The Story of Windows 8.
- Survey: Win8 considered safer but few desire to buy a new Win8 PC.
- LEAKED: MySpace's Master Plan To Raise $50 Million And Relaunch As A Spotify Killer.
- Yandex Disk Gives Cloud Document Management & Revealing To Home windows 8.
- FREE Box.com 25GB Cloud Storage.
- With Sinofsky Gone, Start Menu Could Return to Windows 8.
- Windows celebrates 27th birthday.
- Android 4.2 Bug: December Omitted From The People App.
- The World Around you is not What it Seems – Ingress Application.
Read our web development and
business optimization guides
Compare in-house offshore
software developer payroll costs
Check the available resources for
a quick project start
Join our newsletter!
Get weekly updates of the top IT news delivered straight to your inbox