IT Digest: Top 10 Apps 2012 for Android, Optical Illusions in Logos, Best of 2012 UI Animations and Much More
What is the freshest news from the world of informational technologies? Find out in our weekly digest from 28th of December.
- Google Play rolls out matching feature for Google Play Music — Being not the first, but the third after such giants as Apple and Amazon, Google has made a decision to add a music matching service to Google Play Music for customers in the US, a few weeks after the service has already been launched in Europe, but with one tiny benefit over iTunes Match and Amazon Cloud Player Premium: the service is absolutely free.
- Flickr offers three months of free Pro access to new and existing users — The Yahoo-owned company is presenting their new and existing customers three months of totally free Flickr Pro, the service which unlimited subscription costs not less than 25 USD (15 UK, 24 AUD) per a year.
- Microsoft ending development of Expression suite of Web and design tools — The package has been removed from sale immediately after the decision was officially announced. Its today only status is maintenance and support until it reaches its expiration date.
- Google called the application year for Android — Google has published top 10 apps 2012 for Android, including nine free apps, in the online store Google Play.
- The 12 most beautiful iOS apps of 2012 — The list includes not only those apps for fun & enjoy, but also useful assistants necessary for work and everyday life.
- Windows Blue: How it could reinvent Windows 8 — The successor would be similar to Windows 8 OS but with some significant changes, i.e. low pricing in comparison to Windows 8, new UI, annual updates to new version instead of 3 years followed now.
- PenguinMark — Test your browser with penguins.
- Mozilla brings back 64-bit Firefox version for Windows — Loud announcement of Benjamin Smedberg about ceasing 64-bit version of Firefox for Windows development caused a significant negative feedback, having made him to held consultations with his release engineering team, and to modify to the original plan.
Amazing Websites' Design:
- https://www.zfort.com/go/https://www.zfort.com/go/http://www.chevalblanc.com/randheli/en — a full-screen web site-slider with parallax and masks.
- etchapps.com — a nice web site with interesting solutions in navigation.
- zippergaleria.com.br/pt/— a full-screen gallery web site.
- com.agentur360.de — a promo web site with effective navigation on the canvas page.
- sonicomed.com — a tourist web site with unusual geometries.
- carbonstudio.co.uk — a web site with the custom drag'n'drop navigation on the home page and active use of SVG and CSS3.
- Using Optical illusions in Logos and Website Design.
- Top 20 Logo Designs made of Curly Brackets/Braces.
- 30 Web Designs Featuring Vintage Style Typography.
- 5 Design Tips Every Developer Should Know.
- Just Creative's 10 Most Popular Posts of 2012.
- Best of 2012: UI Animations.
- WhatsApp: Redesign.
- 20 creative and inspiring event websites.
- 50 Outstanding logo designs.
- Awesome Christmas Wallpapers.
- 32 Showcase of Latest Brochure Designs.
- How to Work With Slices in Photoshop.
- Logo land: a terrain of twists and turns.
A Bunch of Design Freebies:
- Zodiac Signs.
- Myra Caps — a supporting Cyrillic font with decorative rounding in the top right corner.
- Underneath — a Creepy Web Font Kit.
- Microsoft Expression Changes.
- Free Cracked Pavement Textures.
- 23 Freebie Interface Icon Sets for New Website Projects.
- 30 Captivating Pagination (PSD) Files for Free.
- Gemicon — 600+ monochrome icons including PSD-format, in 16, 32, 64 sizes.
- 12 New Fonts to Download.
- We Love Icon Fonts — a free & open source icon fonts hosting service.
- cssarrowplease — units' generator with arrows on CSS.
- Flash to HTML5 conversion.
- An advent calendar on Christmas Experiments from Digital Artists.
- One of the previous service experiments (webkit only).
- 3D journey in the winter forest.
- 7 Awesome Emmet HTML Time-Saving Tips.
- Centurion — a responsive web framework that scales with your device.
- GruntStart — one more framework to quickly create an optimized websitethat that includes the H5BP, jQuery, Modernizr and Respond.
- HTML5 Bones — The template that goes back to basics.
- Reuze — a tiny front end framework that makes structuring HTML and CSS for mid-to-large sized content-rich web sites.
- Serializing Objects in your WinRT Applications.
- Working With Text In Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG).
- Styling Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) With CSS.
- WebStorm Live Edit Plugin.
- Tips for Front End Unit Testing.
- Talks To Help You Become A Better Front-End Engineer In 2013.
- The Octoverse in 2012 by GitHub.
- Using HTML5 Input Types to Enhance The Mobile Browsing Experience.
- PARALLAXIN'— a set of best options to implement the smooth parallax.
- How to Create a Windows Store app using HTML and JS.
- Screensharing with Webrtc.
- The correct terminology in styles.
- How to deal with vendor prefixes.
- Dive into Flexbox.
- Responsive Design of the Future with Flexbox.
- Sliding Tags - CodePen.
- Quickly Convert Objects to CSS Using Photoshop CS6.1.
- CSS Masks – How To Use Masking In CSS Now.
- CSS Card Tricks.
- Giving Content Priority with CSS3 Grid Layout.
- animate.less — LESS cross-browser animation library. Ready for Twitter Bootstrap.
- Easily extensible tables built with Ember.js.
- Photobox v1.02 — CSS3 image gallery jQuery plugin.
- Maskew by Dan Motzenbecker — JS library for skewing the shapes of elements.
- jQuery File Upload — My install's showing all files on server.
Fun & Entertainment:
- Most Popular YouTube Videos from Brands in 2012.
- 11 Big Tech Trends You'll See in 2013.
- Critical Components to SEO Success in 2013.
- Happy Holidays from Android.
- Christmas gift for someone you hate: Windows 8.
- WINDOWS 8: The main disappointment of the year.
- Alpha Dog demonstrates what quadruped robots can do.
Read our web development and
business optimization guides
Compare in-house offshore
software developer payroll costs
Check the available resources for
a quick project start
Join our newsletter!
Get weekly updates of the top IT news delivered straight to your inbox