What were the hottest and the most interesting news of the previous week? Find out in our latest digest from October 12, 2012.
- Announcing Web Platform Docs. W3C, in collaboration with Adobe, Facebook, Google, HP, Microsoft, Mozilla, Nokia and Opera has announced the alpha release of Web Platform Docs.
- Microsoft changes its strategy and will focus on the manufacture of devices and services. According to Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer’s latest letter Microsoft sees itself as a “devices and services company” in the future.
- One more way to kill Flash from Microsoft. Windows 8 will most likely kill off Flash support, also signaling the perhaps timely death of the much used, but often criticized format.
- Google News: History online. Google’s Cultural Institute brings online 42 new historical exhibitions which help to tell the stories of several major events taking place over the past century.
- Tremendous game Contre Jour adapted with HTML5. Contre Jour, the popular iOS game, has been released onto the web through IE10 and Windows 8.
- Two more new variations for Facebook “Like” buttons. Facebook is testing new “want” and “collect” buttons for its new “Collections” feature.
- Make the web faster with mod_pagespeed. The open-source Apache module automatically optimizes web pages and their resources.
- 65 changes in Google search for August, September 2012. The latest installment of the search quality highlights with the complete list of changes with their descriptions to report for August-September 2012.
- Skype representatives have promised to solve new Trojan problem. Skype has started taking active measures to avoid further spreading of the new Trojan, appeared in the network.
- Firefox 16 release and its removal by Mozilla just one day after it due to critical vulnerability.
- Mozilla releases Firefox Metro browser for Windows 8. Mozilla has released a preview version of Firefox built for Windows 8′s touch-friendly interface.
- Game console browsers.
- The release of Opera Mobile 12.1 for Android phones and Opera 12.10 beta (Flexbox!).Mostly an engine upgrade without any particular new UI features, but with lots of new stuff under the hood.
- Alphabet: Re:Production – a modern experiment in typography
- Typographic Style: Identifying Type Categories
- 3 critical design mistakes that may cost tens of thousands of dollars
- 25 vitage and retro websites designs for inspiration
- 33 creative logos with hidden symbolism
- 9 ways to add magic to your designs with Photoshop
- A guide to guides (Part 2)
A Bunch of Design Freebies:
- 20 World Map Source Files (psd, eps, ai, svg & png)
- Google Maps UI controls (psd)
- Blue UI kit
- Abstract backgrounds and more great textures
- Candy UI icon set – a package of icons with bright colors
- 50+ beautiful cloud icons
- Movie icon set from Smashing Magazine
- 60 fresh and excellent free fonts for your next design
- COCO – free fashion type family
- Moby – new decorative font
- Android emulators
- Choose new Twitter cover
- typecode.com – typographic effects in canvas
- Top 10 Reasons to Use HTML5
- Viewport Meta Tag For Non-Responsive Design
- Stop using the viewport meta tag (until you know how to use it)
- Let’s try Brackets – a new code editor by Adobe
- Create a Cool Website with Fancy Scrolling Effects
- Improving HTML5 Canvas Performance
- Don’t Use Automatic Image Sliders or Carousels, Ignore the Fad
- Don’t Forget About Favicons on Retina Screens
- New attachment functionality in Yandex.Mail
- HTML5 Page Flip
- Raw WebGL 101 – Part 1: getting started
- Chrome Dev Tools: Markup and Style
- Todo list app powered by WordPress
- You are probably misusing DOM text methods
- Specificity Calculator – a visual way to understand CSS specificity. Change the selectors or paste in your own.
- Master of the :nth-child
- CSS3 Regions and Flow
- CSS inner shadows
- Flexbox – fast track to layout nirvana?
- Multiple Columns Layout (Magazine-alike) With CSS3
- box-shadow vs filter: drop-shadow
- Battle of the LESS Mixin Libraries: LESS Elements vs. LESS Hat vs. Bootstrap
- What’s new in jQuery UI 1.9.0. jQuery UI 1.9.0 is now available with hundreds of bug fixes, a bigger and better test suite, and improved APIs.
- Windy: a plugin for swift content navigation
- Allofthelights.js – jQuery plugin to turn off the light and enjoy your videos
- Get ready to load different versions of jQuery
- slideControl.js jQuery Plugin
- Flowplayer is updated to v.5.0.0.
Fun & Entertainment:
- IE honest advertising
- How Do They Make Money? Flash app allows the user in a fun and easy way to find out the sphere the world-wide famous IT companies earn their profit in.
- 47 handy Facebook stats and charts (pdf)
- The UK starts to develop and standardize 5G technology. The UK government has teamed up with a host of industry partners to launch the 5G Innovation Centre.
- YouTube advances cash for 60 more original channels in Europe and the US
- Apple’s Tribute To Steve Jobs, Yo-Yo Ma, And The Prelude From Bach
- Google smartwatch patent gets approved. The supposed smart watch is equipped with a camera and uses a clear flip-up cover that can display augmented reality information.