IT Digest: Internet Explorer 10 Reviews, Critical Vulnerability of Skype, Hot in Web Standards and Much More
November 16, 2012
What is the freshest news from the world of informational technologies? Find out in our weekly digest from 16th of November.
- Introducing Popcorn Maker by Mozilla – On 29 October, 2012 at the Mozilla Festival, Matt Thompson has launched the 1.0 version of Popcorn Maker, a free web app that makes video pop with interactivity, context and the magic of the web.
- Google launches search app for Windows RT – In other words, Microsoft Surface tablet users are no longer stuck with the Bing app. You can download Google Search now from the Get Your Google Back Web site, or from the official Windows Store.
- Nokia announces new location cloud service for iOS, Android and others: It's Here (update) – The cloud offers to deliver its premier maps and location experience across multiple platforms and screens. Called HERE, Nokia plans to introduce a range of new location services to provide a significantly more personal experience for users.
- Google advertising revenue surpasses entire US print industry – Online advertising is causing many newspapers and other businesses that rely on paper-form advertising to go bankrupt. Within the first 6 months of this year, Google brought in over $20 billion in revenue from online ads.
- Google releases Android 4.2 source code to AOSP – Google has started pushing the source code for Android 4.2 to the Android Open Source Project. There are also new Android 4.2 factory images for the Google Nexus 7, Nexus 10, and Galaxy Nexus devices.
- Google faces FTC ultimatum over patent and search abuse. U.S. antitrust authorities presented an ultimatum to Google – Thus, the company should recognize that artificially alters the results of search queries for profit, or in the United States begins a grand lawsuit that could seriously damage the reputation of IT- giant.
- Critical vulnerability found in Skype – Critical security vulnerability found in Skype (the service voice and video). The vulnerability allows third-party persons to hack any account of Skype.
- Hot in web standards: September/October 2012 – Lea Verou on the latest developments at the W3C including the new W3C Dev Relations initiative, WebPlatform.org and the The Web Forward event.
- Apple, HTC Enter Into 10-Year Cross-Licensing Deal, Exit All Patent Litigation. – What does this mean to innovation in the mobile industry in general?
- Apple is going to get $6-8 for each HTC Android phone sold – Last week, Apple and HTC announced an end to their global patent war, agreeing to a 10-year licensing agreement.
- The State of Mozilla in 2011 – All Mozila has been famous for in 2011.
- The Shumway Open SWF Runtime Project – Developed as a free and open source project sponsored by Mozilla Research.
- Microsoft ships IE10 for Windows 7 preview, hints at launch this year – The latest version of Microsoft's Web browser is now available to the vast audience connecting to the Internet on personal computers running on the Windows 7 operating system.
- Moving the Stable Web Forward in IE10 Release Preview and IE10: Fast, Fluid, Perfect for Touch, and Available Now for Windows 7.
- Several reviews of the new IE: the first, the second.
- Gaming Benchmarks: Internet Explorer 10 vs. Firefox 19 vs. Google Chrome 25.
- New Internet Explorer commercial is better than the browser.
- Google introduced Chrome browser in a sandbox mode for Adobe Flash Player.
Amazing Website's Design:
- claudiocalautti.com – an interesting implementation of the web site- portfolio.
- rooftopcinema.com.au – an interesting scroll effect looked like the video intro.
- beta.mashable.com – beta version of the famous magazine with responsive design.
- ernestetcelestine-lefilm.com – atmosphere web site, spiced with HTML5, 3D transformations and pleasant music, dedicated to animated film Ernest et Célestine.
- Before & After Redesigns of Popular Design Blogs.
- Invention: Multiple-Choice “Windowed Slider” UI.
- Modern UI Style Design by Microsoft.
- Web Design Trend Showcase: Blurred Backgrounds.
- Uninvited redesigns – alternate versions of known web sites designs.
- Web designer's arsenal – 13 tools.
- Fun Vector Monster Character Illustrator Tutorial.
- 22 Best and Fresh Adobe Illustrator Tutorial Collections.
- Using The Texture Panel In Adobe Fireworks.
- 10 Ways To Incorporate Storytelling In Web Design.
- 28 Examples of iPhone App User Interfaces.
- Saving Clipping Paths with Your JPG Photo.
- The Organic Ambigram.
A Bunch of Design Freebies:
- 36 Free & Useful PSDs For Download.
- A Comprehensive Collection of Free UI Kits & Templates.
- 40+ Best Web UI Interface Framework Kits.
- Emoticons & Smilies Icon Set.
- Chunky Pika Icon Set (42 Icons, PNG, AI).
- Tool Box (Free PSD) - layouts names are in Chinese!
- Free High Res Metal Textures.
- Free Windows 8 Wireframe Templates for PowerPoint.
- 30 Beautiful Vector Building Arts for Inspiration.
- endlessicons – replenishing resource with icons, usually in PNG.
- Razor Free Font.
- Facunda – condensed display font available for free in five different styles.
- DHD Cool, Regular - Free typeface.
- Printliminator is a bookmarklet with some simple tools you can use to make websites print better.
- Design your apps online – Ninja way to simple design.
- fotor – new easy-in-use photo editor.
- Cedvel – an application for designing grid systems.
- duri.me – a super simple dataURI tool.
- Silkbrush – an image repainter that combines proximity-based particle drawing with local colormap sampling and an epicyclic drawing engine.
- Another demonstration of canvas opportunities.
- 100 000 stars.
- Lightrays – JS demo on creating interactive light rays.
- Firefox OS emulator available.
- All Fronteers 2012 videos have become available.
- HTML5 Canvas: performance and optimization.
- 10 recent HTML5 canvas tutorials.
- Useful Tools & Resources For Better A Vertical Rhythm.
- Quick ExtJS + HTML5 FileDrag + Upload Mashup.
- Stairway Navigation (A jQuery Plugin?).
- Singularity – a responsive grid system designed to be as flexible and small as possible.
- What's New in jQuery Mobile 1.2.0?
- How to recreate the new e-bay site scrolling effect.
- Animating the Cloud Modules Icon.
- Understanding The Viewport Meta Tag.
- Images in a responsive web by Tyson Matanich.
- A CodePen Interview with Chris Coyier.
- Remy Sharp on learning by breaking stuff.
- Design pattern to develop Chrome extension.
- Demo web site creation by Chris Coyier.
- Creative CSS loading animations.
- How to Pull Off a Tilt Shift Effect With Webkit CSS Filters.
- Quick Tip: Using CSS Transitions in Responsive Web Design.
- Shadows Towers on CSS3.
- How to recreate the new e-bay site scrolling effect.
- 5 JQuery Viewport Plugins.
- 10 Useful JQuery IPad code snippets and plugins.
- jQuery Burn is a plugin which adds a flame-like effect to text.
- Baraja: a plugin for spreading items in a card-like fashion.
- Drag ‘n' Drop Shopping Cart With jQuery UI (Tutorial).
- Native Drag and Drop.
- bootup.js – caching and downloading of static files from local storage.
- SVGfall a fast way to use SVG images with a reliable fallback, based on the Picturefill syntax using divs, for downloading only one asset.
- jim knopf – cool knob to regulate values with SVG.
- Unheap – a tidy collection of jQuery plugins.
Fun & Entertainment:
- Microsoft Research shows a promising new breakthrough in speech translation technology.
- Microsoft Surface - Microsoft Dives Deep to Surface a Hit.
- Authoritative magazine TIME has included the project Enable Talk of the Ukrainian team quadSquad in the list of the best inventions of 2012.
- Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 Already Sold Out In Just About Every Market.
- Collection of useless web sites.
- Horrible logos for 5$.
- Cat Audio-fil with adaptive design.
- The state of Windows 8 - based on Soluto community data.
- The weather forecast on Mars.