IT Digest: Facebook Tests New Timeline Design, the Seven Biggest Collapses in Mobile Headset, CES 2013 and Much More
What is the freshest news from the world of informational technologies? Find out in our weekly digest from the 11th of January.
- Windows Live Messenger closes March 15th — According to Microsoft, Windows Live Messenger users should move their accounts to Skype until the mentioned date, before the servers go offline for most of the world, except China.
- Awesome infographic highlights all of Microsoft's products and services — Marvelous infographic provides a visual representation of recently created Microsoft products for various tech areas.
- Facebook is testing new Timeline design — It is supposed that such design will allow users both to organize their web pages in a proper way and emphasizes contacts among their friends.
- Catmoji Is A Social Network For The Internet's Most Cat-Crazed — The main goal of the website creators was to develop a web area where cats fans would be free to share photos of animals without risking irritating external users who do not share their enthusiasm.
- The Seven Biggest Collapses in Mobile Handset or Smartphone History — TomiAhonen fresh consulting analysis has revealed Nokia's share of the smartphone market fell from 35% to critical 5% in 2 years, Microsoft's share to a mere 3%, LG's to 4%.
- Apple App Store downloads exceeded 400 million, with over 500 million subscribers in 155 countries — With 20 billion downloads in 2012 only and 2 billion record figure in last December, the App Store now provides more than 775,000 apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, including 300,000 native iPad apps.
- Microsoft: 60 million Windows 8 licenses sold, 100 million app downloads — At the 11th Annual J.P. Morgan Tech Forum at CES 2013, Windows CMO and CFO Tami Reller announced that Windows 8 has sold 60 million licenses to date that represents the collective sales of Windows 8 including both upgrades and sales to OEMs for innovative devices.
- CES 2013:
- CES 2013 Day Zero: Lenovo, Sony, HP, Huawei and Samsung unveil their biggest bets — The most exciting announcement from Sony - Xperia Z, Huawei represented a couple of Android smartphones - 5-inch Ascend D2 flagship and 6.1-inch Ascend Mate, Lenovo and HP introduced a number of devices for Windows 8, Korean tech giant Samsung announced about upcoming availability of the Samsung ATIV Odyssey and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with LTE for Verizon, Intel announced a couple of processors meant to power mobile devices, one is for tablet use, and another for entry-level smartphones, Alcatel presented the world's thinnest smartphone Alcatel One Touch Idol Ultra.
- CES 2013 Day One: Televisions, cars and gaming — Panasonic demonstrated a new 20-inch tablet with ultra high-definition content, Audi represented totally autonomous car technology, having announced intention to put 4G LTE connectivity in its models of 2013, Razer announced a gaming tablet Edge, equipped with innovative game controls, Xi3 informed about the development of a mobile console for HD TVs.
- CES 2013 Day Two: Brain Controlled Helicopters, Fuel Cell Smartphone Chargers and 1TB Flashdrives — Puzzlebox demonstarted its brain-controlled helicopter floating while the user is doing his best to concentrate on any specific subject, Nectar represented a battery that can supply power to smartphones for a fortnight, Kingston introduced a long-awaited 1 TB USB flash drive.
- Best of CES 2013 Awards — CES Innovations Awards entries are judged on general engineering characteristics related to tech specs and materials, esthetics and design qualities, the product's use area and its functionality, individual features, strong sides of the design and any innovation of the product in comparison to the others in the marketplace.
- CES 2013: PaperTab Tablet Boasts Flexible Display — In collaboration with Intel Labs and Queens University, Plastic Logic has developed innovative technology, having represented it in Papertab, a 10.7-inch Black and White Plastic Interactive Touch screen display.
- CES 2013: Lenovo Bets Big On Windows 8 — The IdeaCentre Horizon is a massive 27-inch tablet with a Full HD resolution running Windows 8 along with multi-touch support for the different gestures and Intel Core i7 processor and Nvidia GeForce graphics inside.
- Ubuntu comes to smart phones: What you need to know — Ubuntu Linux is coming to mobile phones marketplace, pushing aside Apple iOS, Google's Android, Microsoft Windows Phone and BlackBerry, but competitors can relax a little, phones running Ubuntu are not expected to be available until 2014.
- CES 2013: Sharp talks IGZO display tech — During its media briefing at the Consumer Electronics Show, Sharp stressed the importance of IGZO technology as the most innovative one, putting high hopes on it in the further business activity.
- CES 2013: Liquipel 2.0 Nanocoating Water Protection — According to the company representatives the new version is up to 100 times more effective than the water safe nanocoating, introduced during last year exhibition.
- Firefox OS shows up on a mystery phone — As tech specs of the phone are still kept in secret it is already known that this pretty standard low-end Android device, running an HTML5 open source OS, has got at least an ARMv6 CPU and 256MB of RAM, with quick and responsive swapping between apps.
- Release updates from the Chrome team – Chrome 24 web browser release.
- eEye Zero-Day Tracker — Your Vulnerability Watchlist.
Amazing Websites' Design:
- degetel.com — funny website with full-screen video in the background.
- badrfood.com — a website, where mask and parallax are combined.
- voeux.extralagence.com — a website with the non-standard timeline.
- rei1440project.com — every minute spent outside is in a photo on a full-screen gallery-website.
- madwellnyc.com — interesting website-portfolio with parallax- and tile- sections view and other pleasant features.
- kyron.me — interesting scrolling effects.
- dim.hr — full screen portfolio of Croatian studio, built with European charm.
- silktricky.com — a mixture of tile interface with video and photo gallery.
- How to design breakthrough inventions — an interview with David Kelly.
- Photoshop flexibility.
- 13 Design Trends For 2013.
- Beautiful Uses of Texture In Web Design.
- 20 Great Examples of Big Images in Web Design.
- 40 Beautiful Web Designs that Use Photographic Backgrounds.
- The Secrets of Photoshop's Retouching Tools (Part 1).
- How to Design Your Business Card With Psychology in Mind [Infographic].
- 30 Amazing Examples of Package Design.
- 10 Useful Resources where you can get best Mobile UI Design Patterns.
- How to draw a cartoon – 50 excellent video tutorials.
- Showcase of Retro & Vintage Style Logo Designs.
- Designing for the empty states.
- What's Hot Now: Infographics for Your Site.
- The iOS Design Cheat Sheet.
- Conditional Lightboxes: alternatives to the pop-up windows in mobile devices.
A Bunch of Design Freebies:
- Hundreds of free icons to customize and include in your games.
- Gemicon Icon Set (600 PNG Icons + PSD Source).
- Free Clear Social Media Icons with PNG & PSD.
- 13 Free PSDs to Start 2013.
- Free PSD Template: Presentation Folder Mockup.
- 25 High Quality & Free Textures Packs.
- Free Bootstrap Template With HTML & PSD: Bootstrapper.
- Holidays and Traveling Logo in CorelDraw.
- RIDGE Typeface.
- Gutenberg — a decorative retro font, free version of the famous B42, used by Johannes Gutenberg in the famous 42-line-Bible.
- VDS FONT updated.
- Typicons — free-to-use vector icons embedded in a webfont kit for easy use in your UI.
- holify.it — add Christmas spirit to your website.
- HTML5 Canvas Lightning.
- Dream of the Tree.
- Doom3 gangnamstyle with Canvas.
- The top 10 HTML5 games of 2012.
- Infinitely growing flower in Canvas.
- Touch-web: Swipe.
- Vibration API.
- SearchPane. VisibilityChanged.
- Document Object Model (DOM).
- Three drafts published by the Web Cryptography Working Group.
- Another "Solar System" on HTML5 Canvas.
- Flask web development, one drop at a time.
- Meta Tags and SEO.
- A Look Into: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Animation.
- SVG Styling.
- Junior - a front-end framework for building HTML5 mobile apps.
- Useful .htaccess Snippets and Hacks.
- New tools for web design and development: December 2012.
- Interview with Ian Hickson, HTML editor.
- Most Popular WordPress Plugins [Infographic].
- A Comparison of Methods for Building Mobile-Optimized Websites.
- Bandwidth Media Queries? We Don't Need 'Em!
- W3Techs - World Wide Web Technology Surveys.
- Web Developer Checklist.
- Play safely in sandboxed iframes.
- An Introduction to Persona.
- The harsh truth about HTML5′s structural semantics (part 1).
- SHADOW DOM 101.
- Meet the Atlantic Wire iPad HTML5 App.
- Rethinking Dynamic Page Replacing Content.
- 5 great visual tweaks for Sublime Text.
- 3D Book Showcase.
- Pulsating CSS3 Input Search Box.
- We are awaiting for the "all" property in the next version of CSS.
- CSS3 Gmail Buttons.
- Responsive Design in IE10 on Windows Phone 8.
- Cool and Innovative CSS3 Animations Examples.
- How to automatically generate CSS sprites with Sass and Compass.
- Who Says the Web is Just for Squares?
- Gradients in CSS3.
- Inside jQuery.
- Isotope: An exquisite jQuery plugin for magical layouts.
- Motio — jQuery plugin for simple but powerful sprite based animations and panning.
- HTML 5 Yugen logo animation project.
- jQuery API documentation is updated.
- CSS Browser Selector +.
- CSS Browser Selector + A Cross-browser Responsive Design Helper.
- Tags Input jQuery Plug-in.
Fun & Entertainment:
- Lessons teambuilding from Mark Zuckerberg.
- Quality Changes in the Google Search Algorithm 2012.
- Smartphones hardly used for calls.
- 66% of phone, tablet owners don't really care if they run iOS, Android, or Windows.
- Microsoft says somebody stole its Apple iPads.
- How Blind People Use Instagram.
- TIOBE Programming Community Index for January 2013.
- Kickstarter: The Best of 2012.
- USB 3.0 speed to DOUBLE in 2013.
- Bolton Wanderers striker has phone taken off him to help beat Twitter “obsession”.
- “Hashtag” is the 2012 Word of the Year.
- regexes.md - for search in Twitter.
- Catmoji – social net for cats and their owners.
- Pinterest Acquires And Will Shut Down Recipe Discovery Site Punchfork.
- Plastic Logic shows off Papertab, a Tablet as thin and flexible as paper.
- Sharp to Launch Products with IGZO Display Technology in 2013.
Read our web development and
business optimization guides
Compare in-house offshore
software developer payroll costs
Check the available resources for
a quick project start
Join our newsletter!
Get weekly updates of the top IT news delivered straight to your inbox