The latest IT digest with the most interesting news from the web design and development world dated the 30th of November is at your disposal.
- Android 5.0, Key Lime Pie Powered LG Optimus G2 Release Date: May 2013 – Android 5.0 devices are just around the corner. Korean media outlets are reporting that LG Electronics recently began developing a phone called the LG Optimus G2.
- Facebook launches conversion measurement tool – Facebook began rolling out a conversion measurement tool on Black Friday to help marketers bridge the data gap between social ads and online sales.
- Intel inside: looking inward for CEO may be best bet – Intel CEO Paul Otellini will retire in May 2013, the company announced last week.
- Google Webmaster Tools, the Google web site that helps website owners manage how their site appears in Google, diagnose problems, and optimize traffic, is currently experiencing a major security breach..
- Apple is now the most valuable company of all time – As Apple’s stock price continues its roller coaster ride after topping $600 earlier this year, one industry watcher believes the stock is currently in the bargain bin.
- Microsoft Sells 40 Million Copies of Windows 8 in First Month – Is that number good, bad, or merely mediocre? Probably good, but perhaps not great. Microsoft sold 60 million copies of Windows 7 in the first ten weeks of that operating system’s availability, with the Wall Street Journal estimating that 40 million copies were sold in the first month.
- Retailers report slow Windows 8 sales, low demand. With ‘Vista problem’ solved, customers see no need to upgrade.
- Microsoft is said to be working on the first update to its Windows Phone 8 software – Codename Apollo Plus, the update will bring several features that just missed out on being included in the initial release, and we should learn more early next year.
- Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year. According to unnamed sources Microsoft is planning a major update to its operating system towards the second half of 2013 – and it is likely to keep doing so every year thereafter in a serious change to its release schedule that will see it brought closer to Apple’s operating model.
- Gmail users can now send files up to 10 GB – A new button in the Gmail compose window will give users the ability to attach a file from their Google Drive account rather than attaching the file itself to the message.
- Yandex Disk Brings Cloud File Management & Sharing To Windows 8 – The Modern UI-styled app doesn’t seem very finished when compared to the classic desktop and also mobile variations, but it does provide a good looking overall expertise in case you want to stay inside the new software.
- Firefox Beta 18.0 supports Retina Display – The update enables MacBook Pro with Retina display owners to use an alternative to Safari or Google Chrome, and enjoy the benefits of retina display rendering.
Amazing Websites’ Design:
- http://vizzuality.github.com/rollingstonesmap/#/– a web site built with the slide model.
- myprovence.fr – a nice one-page web site with parallax.
- bang-olufsen.com – an interesting implementation of the slider.
- surveyofthestates.com – a web site with lots of animation and interactive elements.
- lostphoneexperiment.nl – a nice one-page web site with animation, including the sprite one, and cute illustrations.
- elloro.nl – naturally blend animation effects used for the majority of interactive elements.
- clicknow.com.br/circulo-da-comunicacao-digital/ – a little more sprite animation from Brazil.
- Web Design History: From The Beginning.
- Using Transparency in web design: Dos and Don’ts.
- Evolution of famous brand logos.
- Skeuomorphism and the User Interface.
- Different Photoshop Secrets.
- Typographic Anamorphism.
A Bunch of Design Freebies:
- All Free Vector World Maps (AI, EPS, SVG).
- Collection of Free Thematic Social Icons Sets.
- Social Media Tabs.
- Free PSD UI Kit: Super Buttons.
- 30 Free and Premium UI Kits & Web Elements for Designers.
- Free Light User Interface Kits.
- 55 Free and High Quality Christmas Vector Graphics.
- 10 Free Fun Holiday Fonts.
- Prime free font – unique sans serif tech font.
- 10 Beautiful and Free Slab Serif Fonts.
- Tipografía gratis: Festiva.
- Free font: FV Deventer.
- Boros rounded – decorative font in witches’ style.
- SmartSprites – CSS Sprite Generator.
- makeappicon – the tool resizes and optimizes your icon designs into all formats needed for iOS and Android mobile app.
- iconbench – Web application to style icons selected from the list of available ones.
- Font Custom – Generate custom icon webfonts from the comfort of the command line.
- One div aims to highlight the potential of CSS3 through a library of single element logos.All icons displayed on the website are realised in pure css with only one html div. The challenge is also to provide an alternative to SVG.
- Extensionizr is a simple way to jump start your chrome extension development just in 15 secs.
- Data Monday: Physical Device & Viewport Sizes.
- The web site to facilitate the work with html5/css3: generators, articles, tools.
- The Ultimate Social Media Sizing Cheat Sheet.
- Taking Web Audio Offline in iOS 6 Safari.
- How to record audio in Chrome with native HTML5 APIs.
- Chrome Devtools Cheatsheet.
- imgo – advanced images optimizer.
- Make WordPress Core.
- WordPress snippets to work with social networks.
- Making of: typespiration.com.
- Making 100,000 stars, Chrome Experiment project with THREE.js and CSS3D by Michael Chang.
- List of 197 useful Twitter bootstrap resources.
- Sublime Text 2 Themes (textmate) created by Dayle Rees.
- 50 Tricks for Faster Web Applications.
- 5 APIs that will transform the Web in 2013.
- Chrome Dev Tools: Markup and Style and Networking and the Console.
- Code smells in CSS.
- Web Fonts Performance: Making Pretty, Fast.
- New Sublime Text CSS Plugin: Hayaku.
- Luigi, DR. Zoidberg full css.
- Colors in CSS.
- Flexbox Revisited: The New Syntax For Flexible Boxes.
- The menu element.
- CSS3 Substring Matching Attribute Selectors.
- IDs Will Not Make Your Documents More Semantic.
- Using Trigonometry to Animate Bounces, Draw Clocks, and Point Cannons at a Target.
- Sass and Compass CSS animation library based on Animate.css.
- Animated 3D Flipping Menu with CSS
- Responsive CSS timeline with 3D effect.
- Responsive background images with fixed or fluid aspect ratios.
- CSS Swinging Panel Menu.
- IE10 CSS Hacks.
- The Mystery Of CSS Sprites: Techniques, Tools And Tutorials.
- Getting Inner Border Radius Just Right by Joshua Hibbert.
- CSS3 Monochrome Icon Set.
- Calendario: a flexible calendar plugin.
- bootup.js – Cache and load static files from local storage.
- Any List Scroller by musings.it.
- Responsive Img – Make your existing images responsive without creating new images.
- timing – a jQuery core plugin.
- pickadate.js – A responsive and lightweight jQuery dateinput picker.
- Long Press – the plugin to insert rare characters as easily as on Android or iOS.